Monday, November 21, 2011

Paleo Country Fried Steak with Primal Gravy Sauce

Eureka! We went to Roth's Grocery Store and were looking at what meat to buy and CJ picked some cubed steaks. I didn't know what to do with them so I looked up some recipes. Came across allrecipes.com and found a recipe for country fried steak http://allrecipes.com/recipe/country-fried-steak-and-milk-gravy/ .I modified it to our liking and came up with something delicious and healthy!

2 cube steaks
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup of coconut flour
1 cup of almond flour
3 tablespoons of half&half (or milk should do it)
1/2 cup of beef broth
a couple of dashes of garlic,onion & Ms. Dash garlic & herb blend
salt & pepper to taste
2 green onions, chopped
Olive oil/Coconut oil or lard


    Season cube steaks with spices and set aside. In a shallow dish combine flours and spices. In a seperate dish whisk egg. Dip steaks in flour then in egg batter and back in flour blend. Let rest for 5 minutes. While they are resting turn on skillet to medium and put in a generous amount of oil. Fry steaks for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
    Drain out excess oil in container and put two tablespoons of oil/drippings back in skillet. saute green onions & then pour in left over flour and brown. Once flour blend is browned pour in beef broth and whisk in milk for about 3 or 4 min on medium heat until bubbling and thickened. Add extra spices if needed. My husband said it was more of a sauce then a gravy. Next time I will put more beef broth to thin it out to his liking :).

Any who once its done enjoy!!! I put a clear lid over my steaks while they were cooking to help cook them through. I dont like pink in the middle. The flour blend was great, just enough coconut flour to not make the almond flour burn quickly.
  

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to come over to eat soon!! Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thank you! I it very good! Proud of myself. I'll be bringing pies for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete